Tomato is an edible berry-type vegetable that belongs to the nightshade species. This veggie is regarded as the culinary fruit of a creeping plant, which was originated in the parts of central and South America in the decades of 16th century, according to methods. This heavily nutrient vegetable is used in various forms as in cooked, grilled, squeezed, sliced, etc. and has got appreciation in its every single type!
Initially, tomatoes were grown at a certain temperature of the greenhouse, but eventually, after watching the high demand of this sour berry fruit, people have found out the proper atmosphere to grow this beneficial veggie and start to cultivate this one in their own garden! Today, we refer some simple procedure about how you can grow tomatoes in your own place with a few frequent components, check this out-
Things Required for Cultivating Tomatoes:
While planting tomatoes in your own place, especially, without a greenhouse atmosphere, it seems a bit tricky, but, you can smoothly overcome this crisis if you have the appropriate idea of planting this delicate berry-type fruit with a few proper planting objects. To plants tomatoes you need-
- A clay pot which must has a proper drain system and a length of 18 to 24 inches.
- Fertilized soil that has a pH range among 6.2 to 6.8 and NPK ratio of 5-10-10.
- A sharp object for digging the soil.
- A strong support system to for your creeping plants like a stake or cage.
- 1 packet of compost to provide minor nutrient and moisture the soil.
- Last but definitely the least one is a proper space to place your plant so then, it could get 6 to 8 hours of sun rays
How to Grow Tomatoes from Seeds:
Troubleshoot or problematic part of cultivating tomatoes in your own garden is that the sprout roots or the processing where tomato grows from the seed! This whole system depends primarily on the temperature where you put the seed to grow. As this one is a winter vegetable thus, the temperature could not pass the heat of 90 degrees and should not lower of 55 degrees as well! To cultivate tomato from the seeds you need to follow some delicate procedure we mention below-
- At first, plant tomato seeds indoors prior to 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost.
- Prepare the planting pot with fertilized soil and sow 2 to 3 seeds ¼ inch deep in the soil.
- Now, keep the pot inside at a temperature of 70 to 80 degrees F, until the germination crops up from the seeds.
- Mist water daily on the seed for first 7 to 10 days.
- When the plant grows out from the soil, take the dimension or daily growth of your plant.
- Once your plant has got a height of 15 to 16 cm or 6 inches, it’s all ready to transfer to the outside of your room!
- After your plant gets harden, its need to situate at the garden so then, it could collect the required nutrients for the earth directly and also could get a wider space to spread the branches.
- Place a hard stake or trellis near the plant, which could provide a support to latch onto as they cultivate.
- Keep watering and feeding regularly to your plant until it starts getting fruit.
- Wait for a few more days, which is exactly about 60 days after transplanting the tomato plant; you will get a ripe and red tomato to harvest.
Image:grow it organically
What kind of Tomatoes to Choose for Planting:
Another segment you should concentrate while cultivating tomatoes at home and that is the verities of tomato species! There are almost 7500 different tomatoes categories existed; hence, you should select your category first, when you decide to plant one of them in your own garden!! These varieties are alienated as per the shapes and sizes; let’s check out some popular categories, which will help you to settle on what kind of tomato you would like to plant.
- Beefsteak tomatoes
These kinds of tomatoes come with a kidney bean shape that has a thinner skin and grow in a 10cm diameter. It frequently used for making sandwiches.
- Cherry tomatoes
This one belongs from the wild tomato category that comes with a diminutive measurement of 1-2 cm. Cherry tomatoes often use salads because of its sweet & sour taste.
- Plum tomatoes
Plum tomatoes grow with the comparatively large size of 7-9cm that bred with a huge solid content or thick pulp. This type of tomato use to make the sauce, puree or paste for the utmost time.
- Campari tomatoes
Campari tomatoes bred with a medium diameter of 4 cm, which is bigger than the cherry tomatoes and smaller than the plum tomatoes. This sort of tomato comes with an amazing sweet taste and mostly appreciated for it’s over juicy quality!
- Pear tomatoes
This kind of tomato comes with a pear shape and has a thick pulpy inside, thus, this one uses for the wealthier epicure paste.
- Heirloom tomatoes
Heirloom tomatoes are becoming one of the most appreciated categories among all popular tomatoes that bred in the hybrid process and inevitably come with a larger shape than ordinary tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes mostly get popularity from the home gardeners and organic creators.
- Roma tomatoes
Roma tomatoes which are also known as Bangalore tomatoes are cultivated Indian hybrid procedure that comes with various shapes and thick or pulpy extract.
- Grape tomatoes
Grape tomatoes are mostly eaten as raw form and used for salads or salsa recipes which bred with the small shape than cherry tomatoes.
There are several categories rest as well like globe tomatoes, oxheart tomatoes, tomberries tomatoes, Brandywine tomatoes, etc. You can choose your category from these criteria, too!
How to deal with Tomato Blight, Worms, and Pests:
If you place your seed properly and develop the plant appropriately, it doesn’t mean that you have to get the ripe tomato in a proper form! Despite following the entire steps accurately, there are still few reasons rest, which could be an obstruction between you and a ripe tomato and those are blight, worms, pests, etc. To take care of these disgusting tomato pets like, stink bugs, cutworms, white flies, flea beetles, red spider mite, slugs, etc. you need to follow some sensitive steps and they are-
- Identify if there are any of pets or worms in your tomato plant by validating each delicate part of the tomato plant, like top and underside of the leaves, over the skin of tomatoes, etc.
- The best way to destroy caterpillar worms is the handpicking tactic if you have that much time or patient.
- Or you can use botanical BT that is actually a bacterium to wipe out poisons of blights but, it doesn’t harm plants and effects on only insects.
- If you are seeking a natural remedy for these tomato pets then try to inter-planting dill, like placing marigold which helps to keep many worms away from your tomatoes.
- You can apply some effective pests’ killer fertilizer at the root to set blights far away from your lovely tomatoes as well.
Tips & Tricks on Cultivating Tomato:
For those gardeners, who are searching for some apparent tricks about how to plant and maintain tomatoes at their own backyard, here are simple tricks-
- Choose the right container or right corner to situate your tomato plant, so then it could get adequate sun rays, water and appropriate circumstance to bred properly
- Never take the plant out under the sun directly before 6 to 8 weeks of its planting.
- Provide the right support for the vine.
- Never pluck the fruit before it brews in the ripe form.
General Care & Maintenance for Tomato plants:
At the end let’s watch out some simple processes of care and maintenance of your tomato plants if you bred them on your own. Take a look-
- Water the plants openhanded for the starting days.
- Take an apparent measurement of growing of your tomato plant, as it grows with a proper diameter or not, which is 2 inches longer per week.
- Keep watering consistently along with its growing capacity.
- Maintain regularity of fertilizing to get the best form of your veggie.
- Use a straight stake for each plant so that your plant could get enough space and hard vine to grow.
- Put into practice crop rotation in your field to prevent diseases and to stop being unfertilized the soil.
- Protect your fruits and plants from pests and worms until you get the ripe vegetable.
Here are some apparent ideas on how to plant, care and harvest your favorite berry-type fruit tomatoes at your own place. So, people who are eager to plant this veggie at their garden go ahead and enjoy the fun of vegetable gardening with this little guidance.